There's also the added pressure to try new things and indulge on goodness not available back home. Eating out is done more often than not and so it's hard to try and stick to any sort of diet. For some reason I thought it perfectly ok to come home almost every day after volunteering in Cambodia to have an ice cream and a can of soft drink! Something I never do at home.
Whatever the reason, I always seem to come home a few kilos heavier and feeling all 'blah' about myself. I must confess though that since I have been home it's been hard to find my eating and exercise mojo and I have slipped into some very bad habits, not something that I am happy about or proud of.
I had been thinking, even well before I got home, that I wanted to look into doing a cleanse. It took me some time but I eventually got around to it last week.
I found Full of Life Organics online and, being a Toowoomba based company I was keen to check them out and get in touch. Last Thursday I completed the One Day Cleanse. I must confess I wasn't quite sure how I was going to go.
- My juices were cold pressed and delivered fresh to my door on the same day by the owner of the business so I could ask any questions I needed to.
- The juices were so tasty and quite easy to drink.
- I know I've done something really good for my body and health.
- I never felt hungry - I was barely finished one juice and it was almost time to have the next one.
- The last juice was an almond mylk which I had been advised to add Chia Seeds to at the beginning of that day (also provided), adding the seeds meant that it turned the almond mylk a bit thicker and chewable which I was happy for at the end of the day of not chewing.
- The next day I still felt full and didn't seem to need to eat as much as I normally would.
- There was so much liquid to get through! Three litres of juice, plus it is suggested that you continue to drink water, and herbal tea throughout the day. Meaning I had anywhere between 3 and 5 litres of fluid that day, and what goes in, must come out! I spent so much time on the toilet that I am glad I was at home that day and didn't have to leave the house. I don't think that I would be able to do the cleanse if I was working.
- Some of the juices were a little thicker than I expected and the first few mouthfuls of some were a little hard to digest but once I got past them, they were all quite nice.
- I must confess to being a little surprised at how easy I found it. During the day I was missing the action of chewing and there were a few times were I wanted to cave but I didn't. The chia seed/almond milk combination helped with the chewing.
- I was not hungry at any point during the day, the juices were so filling that I didn't need anything else.
- I have always thought that I have no willpower but doing this cleanse has taught me that I absolutely do. There was still all the temptations in the fridge that had always been there and during that day I was able to open the fridge at least 6 times without touching them! I do have willpower!
- I went to bed that night expecting to wake up the next morning starving, but I wasn't. I actually woke up wishing I'd taken the 3 day option, I really think I could have handle it and will definitely be taking that option next time (yes there will absolutely be a next time!). I am so glad I went through with it.
In less than 2 weeks I'm off again overseas and I am really hoping that I can maintain some sort of healthy eating and curb the weight gain.... Wish me luck!
Have you ever completed a juice cleanse?
How'd you go?
What did you think?